Friday, July 3, 2009

Durian cup orienteering race, Tour De France

The Map for the race and our ride marked in pink.

Me and Mitch made it out for the orienting part of the Durian Cup last night. After being coaxed into it we signed up for the A category. I wasn't feeling to fresh, perhaps paying for my indulges in alcoholic beverages oon Tuesday night. Mitch on the other hand was just flying. He was riding a xc/all mountain bike for the first time, and using clips for the first time and this combination resulted in an extremely fast flying Mitchell. He's used to climb on his Triple clamp Bullit, with a coil shock, road cassette and a 36t chainring. So he was laughing on the 30 pound Stumpjumper FSR and never even shifted out of the middle ring for the whole race. In fact the only way I could keep track of where he was ahead of me was by judging the distance according to the sound from his shrieks of enjoyment. Mitch is a very capable downhiller, but after seeing him flying up the Hartland hills, and destroying the street sprints, I'm starting to think there is not a single category of cycling where he would not be successful if he gave it a shot. He was kind enough to wait for me though, as I dragged my sweating, huffing, hulk up the hills in granny gear...He got plenty of time to enjoy the outdoors. In my defence, we did manage to make it back in time (at 55min we had 5 min to spare), and finished the race without any major crashes or injuries. That's always positive.
Talking of Racing, The Tour De France starts tomorrow, so set the timer on your coffeemaker to 6am and get up for the 6:30 start. First stage is an individual time trial in Monaco which should be a blast to watch. I'm currently building my virtual team on The Tour De France Online game so get ready to be crushed by my favorites. We have also invested in a nice flat screen for the store, and the idea is to watch the stages on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments? Questions? Or just want to rant?