Thursday, September 24, 2009

Night ride and Cross

How awesome is this, Tomac style bars and everything? Apparently the penguin led the climb on the first lap!
photo stolen shamelessly from Bones Get Broke.

The riding conditions are still just about perfect out there. I went for a ride at the Dump on Tuesday and it was pure joy, with a sprinkle of pain, like always. I rode with Kevin Koetke, who's a real estate agent, and a stellar mountain biker. We just happened to show up at the same time at the parking lot, so we thought we might as well ride together. He led me on some punishing climbs and showed me a few new lines that I've never tried before. For example Kevin rides UP the rolldown on crazy horse. That's the cool thing about riding with new people. Everybody has their own favorite trails and stunts and seeing lines that other people take opens your eyes to new possibilities within the bike park. It's amazing after all these years of riding in the relatively small park, how there are still new lines to tackle and stunts to brave, and even whole new trails, hidden from view. We had a good ride even though riding with lights again takes some getting used to.

Yesterday, Me and Mitch made it out to Cyclocross as well. This time it was held in a park in Cordova bay, just off the Lochside trail. This track suited us much better. It was short (3 min laps) technical and did not have any obstacles that required you to jump off your bike and run (we're not very good at running). My bike held up a little better this time as well. But I changed the gearing slightly to tension the chain properly which eliminated the ever so annoying chain skip that was going on in the last race. This made for a fun race, and the technical part through the woods was awesome, at least for those of us who are mountain bikers at heart. I held my own trough the woods but had a hard time keeping up on the flats, so I tried to focus on having a smooth ride, that is, not to crash. I would pass people in the woods where the technical sections would take out riders en masse, tha carnage was fantastic! But then the same people I passed on the singletrack would pass me on the flats. As per usual Mitch did quite a bit better and finished several spots up ahead of me. Cyclocross is painful, but oh so much fun!

The Single Speed World Championships took place this weekend as well, this time in Durango, Colarado. It is always fun to check out the pictures from those races as the attire is usually somewhat creative. Check it here:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=556988
and an article in Dirt rag here.

photos here.

The Captain Ned Overend came in fourth, at the tender age of 54.

2 comments:

  1. The pictures you linked to are hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see the riding is still stimulating at the dump. I myself am really digging the expanded options that the comox valley is providing.


    I gotta get down to vic for a weekend ride.

    ReplyDelete

Comments? Questions? Or just want to rant?