Thursday, January 21, 2010

I'm sorry sir, but your bike is garbage

Everyone who works in a bike store has come across the character that is convinced that his $200 Supercycle from Canadian Tire is just as good as a $3000 full suspension bike from a reputable bike manufacturer. "What does that bike have that mine does not?" They ask. "Mine has disc brakes, suspension front and rear and lots of gears. How is it any worse than what you have here on the showroom floor?" Sometimes you can actually reason with these people but this is not always the case. The advent of full suspension has not made these bikes better and in fact I believe we're at an all time low as far as the department store bikes go.
Anyway, my brother sent me this brilliant challenge from the UK that involves these boooootttom end bikes. Check it:

http://road.cc/content/feature/12692-scrapheap-challenge?sms_ss=email

2 comments:

  1. That was entertaining. I most defiently rode a supercycles during elementary school I thrashed it hard, it never broke though. Probably because I was so light weight then. Either way I enjoyed reading that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a couple Infinity (Costco) bikes several years ago (sadly, they were the exact same bike sold under the name Dunlop at a supposedly reputable shop in Vancouver for twice the price.) I bought them and took them directly to a bike shop to get them reassembled (as well as possible).

    Bike #1 died from a seatpost stuck in the downtube incident after about 10 rides. #2 survived longer, but pretty much every time I rode it something got damaged. I used to stop at the bikeshop on the way home every time I rode it. In the end, I succumbed to a lovely Specialized Hardrock with disk brakes that was too good a deal to pass up at the end of the season.

    And as good as the Hardrock is, it doesn't come close to my Remedy7, which I really love. And ride harder than any bike I've ever owned.

    ReplyDelete

Comments? Questions? Or just want to rant?