Thursday, April 16, 2009

Fixie culture

I don't get the whole fixie-craze thing. How fun can it be to ride a bike that you can't coast on, that has no brakes, and that has a gear which either makes climbing hills too hard, or makes you have to descend them spinning your cranks at 185rpm? The whole thing seems ridiculous to me. Why also does it seem to be that a prerequisite for joining the fixie-scene requires one to either be color blind, or at least pretend to be?


I often mocked fixie's openly. Claiming that they were the plaything of "Uber-hipsters". Those who no longer would be seen in public with an apple product, because they're far too mainstream now. These people needed a new outlet to express their 'individuality'. Fixies are the i-phone for those who outgrew the i-phone. When you had a walkman, a future fixie rider had a discman, when you were alphabetizing your CD collection on your bookshelf, a future fixie rider was attempting to find some obscure foreign band to download on to his/her i-pod. Because being one of the first to own an i-pod whilst simotaneously being the first in ones group of friends to 'discover' an up and comming band would elevate one to some sort of social demi-god in his or her clique.

But sadly, the time of 'i' was drawing to a close. The mother of someone you once thought was cool for having an i-pod, now has an i-phone. Possibly even his or her grandmother! And a user-group generation span of more than two certainly destroys any cool-factor that any product can have. Enter the urban fixie. Filling the void left in the wake of 'i's demise. The apperance of these bikes allows you to know who is at the forefront of cool. I, for one, shall never be caught dead riding one.

...from the journal of Mitch, april 14'th

4 comments:

  1. Hi Mitch! Well, I currently have a fixed gear as well as a road race bike.
    I use the fixie mainly to commute. My area is quite flat so one speed is not an issue.
    Moreover it stays always outside, so the minimal mechanic (no derailleurs) makes it easy to clean/maintain.
    I still have a front brake in case of emergency.
    I am living in Japan and I don't understand why there are so much haters about the fixed gear bike specially in the US.
    After all it's just a bike!? I rode bmx, mountain bikes, road race bikes. I loved them all.

    (Besides when you use someone's shot to illustrate an article, it would be nice at least to link to the original one...)

    Regards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Jerome! I'm building a fixie right now, and I use daily a peugeot racer with gears. What I love about fixies is the simplicity of it. It's so clean, nice to look at, and often very comfortable to ride. (Have been riding one now for quite some time, that I borrowed from a friend.) It's like the bike is an extension of your own body, more than with a gear-bike. Anyway - my fixie is going to be all black! Not flashy colors :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments? Questions? Or just want to rant?