Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Grown men playing in the mud


We rode in daylight all the way to the top but once we were there it got dark and a little foggy.
Justin was somewhat perplexed by the presence of the paparazzi in the parking lot.

hogs in the mud, just loving it.
dirt and beer, can you really complain about the weather?

So there were just the two of us out for a night ride on Tuesday, Me and Justin. Some old geezers from our night group, did not feel up to riding with us presumably because we're too fast for them. So Tyler, Ryan and Alex went on their own separate geriatrics-ride and were careful to leave early enough so that we could not catch up to them. They probably just rode a little lap on the fireroads and than had a cup of tea and some crumpets under a nice big cedar tree, where they could bicker and quarrel about insignificant things like heating blankets and joint ache and arthritis and glaucoma. Justin and I decided to go for a good loop anyway, and rode our usual loop up to the top of Switchbacks. From there we did Twister and then we did the Super-D course down to the bottom. The conditions were less then ideal, and it rained non-stop. This made for an interesting ride with many near crashes and a few real ones. Although none of them were good enough to strip Andrew of his RSCT (rock star crash trophy) from last Tuesday when he secured the trophy with a silent endo, and a consequent crash of of the last bridge on Twister. Nobody was lucky enough to see this fantastic combo but, Andrew came limping up to the rest stop on twister with a bent rotor and told us what happened and claimed the trophy.
On our ride, Justin managed to crash into the trees of the trail on Jellyroll and I almost killed my self when my front tire slid of a log jump on Who's your daddy and I, just like Justin, went flying into the trees, clipped out in the air, and rode on the top tube into the underbrush while braking Flintstones style. Quite a sight to see, I'm sure, but Andrew retains the trophy.
When we finally got to the parking lot we were so disgusting that we decided to take the hose to ourselves from the knee-pads down. I changed into my street clothes in the parking lot as not to get the new van dirty, and as I was standing there buck naked except for the cycling shoes, the only logical thing to do seemed to do the first Unofficial Rider's Night Ride Streak. As always, it felt wonderful.


Justin coming down twister.

4 comments:

  1. It's not my fault you dumbasses can't get up to the park at 5. Plus I had my wolf-dog, and I don't think I'm ready to release that hound in the dark, as she barely comes back when it's light out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS I like the movie. It's really getting light in there. Muddy riding is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah Tyler I was just giving you guys a hard time... as I'm sure you know. I wish I could get to the park by 5, believe me.

    ReplyDelete

Comments? Questions? Or just want to rant?