Friday, August 7, 2009

Fixed on the group ride

In a moment of madness I decided to go on the road ride on my fixed gear bike last Monday. I spoke to Curtis who leads the rides, and he said he'd choose a route that wouldn't be too hilly. "Ok good," I said, and threw a brake on the front so I wouldn't crash into the rider ahead of me and take out the peloton. The ride was pretty casual and only had one really hard hill on it. This hill was Lagoon Rd. coming up from the Esquimalt lagoon. I was pretty tired at that point but I really wanted to climb the hill. So I went for it. In retrospect, I came into itway too hard, that is, I started really pushing it at the bottom of the hill so when I finally hit the steep part I totally bonked. Embarrassingly enough I had to walk for a bit as other riders passed me. So I'll have to ride back out there one of these days and try it again. Curtis matched my gear ratio and rode up the hill without a problem, just to show me that I need to train a bit harder. Other than that embarrassing episode, the ride was a success. With the 3 to 1 ratio I did not have too hard of a time keeping up with the other guys, at least not on the flats. The hills are tricky and that goes both for those going downhill and up. Cornering at high speed without being able to coast can get a little hairy but I just took my time and tried to be as careful as I could. However, I found that the fixed gear was good for riding in the group. If the rider ahead of me started coasting I could control my speed more precisely just by using my legs (as opposed to coasting and using the brakes), and did not have to use the brake. Of course I could not coast anyway so that is sort of a mute point I guess. It was definitely fun to go out on the group ride on the fixed gear, but I don't think I'll do it again any time soon. I didn't really hold up the ride this time but on a more challenging route I'm sure I would and that is not something I want to do.
Streetsprints tonight!!! Perhaps at the Velodrome which should be fantastic. Be there!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments? Questions? Or just want to rant?