Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Ride report, forest fire.



photos pilfered of the NSMB forums, and from Dave B

I had a good ride at Hartland last night. It was a solo ride and that was great. It's soothing to ride alone from time to time, you can kind of enjoy the woods a little more and savour the silence. Also you can go at your own pace. If you feel like pushing yourself you can and if you get tired, just sit down and try and spot some wildlife. I tried to push myself to ride hard for a full hour, but needless to say I did not succeed. This hour thing is supposed to be training for the cross season. Since the races are usually only about 45min I've been told that this is the way to train for that sort of thing. Run for an hour, hard, or ride for an hour, hard. I tried but after about a half hour of pretty much steady climb I blew up, and had to walk for awhile. This is becoming an annoying habit, that is, me blowing up on climbs. The downhill was great though and I did some new stuff I've never done before which is my goal every time I go riding at Hartland.

I wanted to see the fire damage from the fire on July 20th. so I rode towards Snakes and Ladders on Old Payoff and just where Torpedo run starts, I took a right to the viewpoint. There used to be a really cool Arbutus tree smack in the middle of that plateau. It was one of my favorite places at the park and I always wanted to take a black and white picture there. Sadly I never did and now that tree has been burned to the ground except for one sad branch. I was pretty bummed out about that and considered taking a part of the chopped down arbutus home with me for a reminder to carry the camera at all times. This place is a popular spot for guys smoking dubies and cigarettes, and that's definitely what started the fire. I can't believe that people still do that. If you're a smoker you put out your cigarette butt properly and CARRY IT OUT WITH YOU. This is not the 50's people! You don't still throw garbage out of the window of your car do you? Maybe you do, I don't know...Seems totally ignorant to me.
Just keep in mind that if Hartland burns down because you could not be bothered to put it out properly, there will be a contract out on your head.

A huge thanks to the Saanich FD, CRD Parks, and BCFS for putting out the fire as soon as they did. You guys rock.

3 comments:

  1. The Hartland rides sound great, but is no one at Rider's blogging on Road Rides, i.e. the Monday night rides? Lots to rant on about the road these days: debris and parked cars in the bike lanes, illegal act of riding two-by-two, and lousy drivers. Also lots to glorify: great weather, longs stretches of open roads, the brotherhood salut of friendly roadies....guys?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love to rant about road rides...I'm simply not much of a roadie I'm afraid. Since getting other staffmembers to blog has been unfruitful for the most part, this leaves the blog tilting dangerously towards the dirt side of cycling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for that blog. Good to hear of your courageous attempt at the group ride! Gives me inspiration to join mid-month, once work has settled and I feel up to joining hammerheads, and, perhaps, as the token female. Maybe I will offer some roadrideblog, once I rejoin Rider's. The women's group I tried is not challenging, nor does it match the joyful spirit, courteous road manners, or the encouraging but challenging attitude that I've experienced with the Rider's group over the past four years. Your blog confirmed this persists! Inspired, this frustrated writer (with her research) is playing hookie to blast out in pursuit of the zen of cycling; happy renegade ronin soon to join Rider's.....

    ReplyDelete

Comments? Questions? Or just want to rant?